In progress indicator

Deadheading scabious and hebe?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Maureen

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

New to gardening so have lots of questions all the time (!) - I hope you can help. I have scabious perfecta blue in my garden and was wondering how I go about deadheading spent flowers. Should I remove the flowers just below the flower-head or should I take the whole flower and stem off down to where the stem joins the plant. Or alternatively should I leave it to self seed (does scabious self seed?) I also have 3 hebe blue stars and the flowers are now going brownish as they are over . Is it worth deadheading the spent flowers and if so where (where they join the main stems?) or should I just brush off the brownish flowers and leave? Thank you for any help/guidance you can provide.

• Views: 23824
  • Replies: 13
  • Posted: Tue. 5th July 2011 10:30

Re: Deadheading scabious and hebe?

Reply from Jeanette

hi maureen, can't ansa your question (sorry!) but would also like to know the right thing to do to scabiosa - have just acquired a black-flowered plant 'chile black' and want to treat it right! :)

Re: Deadheading scabious and hebe? (05/07/2011)

Click image to enlarge

• Posted: Tue. 5th July 2011 20:33

Re: Re: Deadheading scabious and hebe?

Reply from Maureen

Hi Cookie,

Many thanks for your response. I have to say that your scabious looks absolutely gorgeous. Are you planting it in the garden or keeping it in a pot? Good luck with it.

• Posted: Wed. 6th July 2011 11:04

Re: Re: Re: Deadheading scabious and hebe?

Reply from Jeanette

hi maureen! it is a gorgeous plant isn't it? (must stop myself going to garden centres!!) I will keep it in a pot this season, may plant out nxt year..or even try propagating like angie suggests - always something to learn about gardening isn't there?! jeanette :-)

• Posted: Wed. 6th July 2011 19:06

Re: Re: Re: Re: Deadheading scabious and hebe?

Reply from Maureen

Hi Jeanette,
There is - so much.... Good luck with the propogation - I'm not there yet :-) I love scabious , one of my faves but I am planting on clay so will have to see how it goes. Would be very tempted to pick one of those lovelies up for a pot though.

• Posted: Thu. 7th July 2011 12:42

Reply from Angie Robertson

Hi Maureen
Can't answer your query re Hebe as I don't grow any as I found they got too weedy through lack of proper care so it is important you find this information out and fingers crossed someone with more knowledge than me will tell you.
As for your scabious I'm not familiar with the one you have but I have 2 different scabious, one is single flower stems and the other has multiple flowers on the stem.
The plant with single flowers I cut the stems right down where the meet the plant and the one with multiple flowers on single stems I just snip of with a sharp pair of scissors to the nearest stem which still has flowers too bloom. Leaving seeds to drop is a matter of preference personally I don't do this as I dOnt want to be bothered with sorting out any seedling that grow. Quite often with perennial Plants the seedling do not match the parent Plant. Hope this helps. Angie

• Posted: Tue. 5th July 2011 21:03

Reply from Maureen

Hi Angie,

Many thanks again for your help. I think I have the single flower version so will remove at stem base. They are lovely and would like to get more in the garden - slightly concerned that I am on London clay though so will have to see how they do.

• Posted: Wed. 6th July 2011 10:59

Reply from thomas stone

wouldn't bother with deadheading the hebe, no real advantage to be have doing it.
with the scabious i would remove the stem right the way down to the base of the plant, the chilean black form i would remove the spent flowers down to the next stem or bud, ideally once a week if possible

• Posted: Wed. 6th July 2011 14:42

Reply from Jeanette

thanx for the info thom, will do!! :-)

• Posted: Wed. 6th July 2011 19:08

Reply from Maureen

Thanks Thomas,
Thats really useful to know - was having my doubts about the hebe's - thats a lot of deadheading ....

• Posted: Thu. 7th July 2011 12:43

I have propagated all my scabious by division. They have all taken very easily. Angie

• Posted: Wed. 6th July 2011 17:20

Reply from Jeanette

hi angie, thanx for the info - do you divide in autumn or spring please? and are they then left in the garden? cheers :-)

• Posted: Wed. 6th July 2011 19:10

Re: Re: Re: Deadheading scabious and hebe?

Hi cookie
I have a kitten called Kooki!
I divided my plants in the spring and just planted them right back in the ground. Last year I divided and put in to pots from my brother and this was equally successful. So it's a matter of preference. If you are nervous about trying it at first just take a little off the plant with roots intact and pot it up and watch it grow. You will find you confidence will grow as you get results.
I am a very novice gardener and have learned through my mistakes. Cheers Angie

• Posted: Wed. 6th July 2011 20:11

Re: Re: Re: Re: Deadheading scabious and hebe?

Reply from Jeanette

Hi angie...hope your kitten lives up to its name lol!!
thanx so much for the tips, you're right, it is about confidence, I will definately try this..got a friend who loves this plant so she will be receiving my efforts!!
you don't sound like a novice - you've inspired me to give this a go! cheers, jeanette :-) (cookie is cos of my surname!!)

• Posted: Wed. 6th July 2011 21:10