OK
In progress indicator

What is this and is it a weed that I can remove?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Maureen

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have scabiosa perfecta blue in my garden. One of the plants has this large upright offshoot that isn't flowering and doesn't look anything like the scabiosa. I think that it is some form of weed that came with the plant but it is most definitely attached to the scabiosa at the base. Do you know what this plant is, if it is a weed and how I go about removing it? I am tempted to just cut it off at the base but will this damage the scabiosa? The scabiosa it is attached to isn't really growing and is not flowering. Any help on identifying this plant and guidance on it's removal (if it isn't scabioisa) much appreciated.

What is this and is it a weed that I can remove? (13/07/2011)What is this and is it a weed that I can remove? (13/07/2011)What is this and is it a weed that I can remove? (13/07/2011)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 714
  • Replies: 6
  • Posted: Wed. 13th July 2011 19:28

Re: What is this and is it a weed that I can remove?

Reply from Diane Chadwick

Hi Maureen, It may be an evening primrose that had seeded in the pot, if it is, then the yellow flowers should be coming out now. If it is then next year its seeds will pop up again in different places, a nice plant if you have a big enough garden.

• Posted: Sat. 16th July 2011 11:19

Re: Re: What is this and is it a weed that I can remove?

Reply from Maureen

Hi Diane,

This is really helpful - I will watch out for those flowers. Thank you for your help.

• Posted: Sun. 17th July 2011 20:01

Re: Re: Re: What is this and is it a weed that I can remove?

Reply from Carol

I wondered if it might be a cornflower (blue flowers). The leaves don't look like my evening primrose (which is paler greyish and soft and rounder). Any flowers yet?

• Posted: Tue. 26th July 2011 22:59

Re: Re: Re: Re: What is this and is it a weed that I can remove?

Reply from Maureen

No none yet ... thanks for your suggestion though.

• Posted: Sun. 31st July 2011 21:38

Re: Re: What is this and is it a weed that I can remove?

Reply from ELAINE HUTSON

Why don't you wait till fall, dig up both plants, separate the roots and plant the unknown separately, see what comes of it.

• Posted: Mon. 24th October 2011 00:52

Re: Re: Re: What is this and is it a weed that I can remove?

Reply from Maureen

Hi Elaine,

I was thinking of trying this as the scabiosa was not doing anything at all. However it has at last started to come on so I was concerned that if i dug it up it would kill it .... Thanks for the suggestion though - I may well do this as the other plant is big and a bit too well established. Thanks , Mo.

• Posted: Mon. 31st October 2011 12:58