In progress indicator

Moving plants

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Gillian Dow

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I have a hosta (approx 2 yrs old), which is being crowded out by a Sem Sorbaria. which plant would it be better to move to a new location in the garden? And how to do that?
Thank you.

• Views: 761
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Fri. 15th July 2011 13:06

Re: Moving plants

Reply from Angie Robertson

Hi Gillian
There is a risk involved in moving any plant, so first of all, you have to decided which you would least like to loose should a move prove fatal to either of your plants. I know nothing about moving your Sorbaria, but have moved hostas many times, with success everytime!
If these were my plants, I would be moving the Hosta. Your Sorbaria is classed as a shrub and your hosta is a perennial. Its easier to move perennials than shrubs.
I moved 3 hostas last week and they are all doing well.
When you lift your Hosta, try to dig us as much soil around the roots as you possible can. This will minimise root disturbance. Use a fork rather than a spade to help loosen the plant.
Make sure you dig the receiving hole larger than the rootball. Give the hole a water and and mix some fish blood and bone if you have it in with the soil to go back in the hole.
Put your plant in and back fill, making sure you firm it in. Give another water. Keep watered over the next few weeks.
Remember your plant has been insitu for 2 years and the root system will be quite big.
If I can add at this point, I am not a professional or expert and am only giving this advice because I have experience in doing this.
Hope this helps, please let me know how you get on. Angie.

• Posted: Fri. 15th July 2011 17:34

Re: Re: Moving plants

Reply from Gillian Dow

Angie
Many thanks indeed for the wise advice & taking the time to respond. I'm a bit of a gardening Luddite, but slowly I'll build up my knowledge.
Kind regards
Gillian

• Posted: Mon. 18th July 2011 11:14