In progress indicator

Deadheading

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Mrs Tracy Hulme

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi

Can anyone tell me where I should cut to encourage further flowering.

Thanks

Tracy

• Views: 888
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sun. 24th July 2011 18:58

Re: Deadheading

Reply from Angie Robertson

Hi Tracy
Your plant will have many flower heads on the same stalk, therefore you should nip out each flower bud as it fails. You can do this with your thumb and forefinger alternatively use a small sharp pair of scissors.
You could of course leave each stalk until all the flowers are dead and follow the stalk down to where it meets the base of the plant and snip of here.
The method you use will of course be whatever suits you, but remember if you allow the seed heads to ripen and drop you will have little seedlings next year.
I have a similar Campanula persicifolia, and to be honest, I don't find the second flush of flowers worth worrying over, they can be very sparse and around half the height of the first flush. This again is personal choice.
Hope this helps you a bit.
Cheers
Angie

• Posted: Sun. 24th July 2011 22:28

Re: Re: Deadheading

Reply from Mrs Tracy Hulme

Hi Angie

Thanks for this useful information it has been a real help as I am a total beginner at gardening but hopefully with guidance from more experienced gardeners like yourself I will be able to give it my best shot!

Thanks again

Tracy

• Posted: Mon. 25th July 2011 07:13

Re: Re: Re: Deadheading

Reply from Angie Robertson

You're welcome. I'm not very experience either and there are many things I wouldn't dare comment on.
Just remember to enjoy your garden. Most things in the garden are trial and error. Just have confidence. Happy gardening :)

• Posted: Tue. 26th July 2011 00:44