In progress indicator

Train Wisteria floribunda 'Black Dragon'

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Norman Read

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I planted this wisteria and wisteria 'Pink lipstick' on opposite corners of a triangular pergola in late spring. How should I train them so that I create a covering of flowers up the pergola poles and spreading out across the 'roof' (which is constructed of 2" x 4" wooden beams in a simple grid)?

regards, Norman

• Views: 871
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Mon. 1st August 2011 11:59

Re: Train Wisteria floribunda 'Black Dragon'

Reply from Kathy C

Hi, Norman,
Your Wisteria floribunda 'Black Dragon' is here on Shoot. If you add it to your 'Plants I Have' list, you will get a link under the 'How to Care' tab which gives detailed instructions on how to train/prune Wisteria. The key to controlling where flowers are, and to keep the plant from getting to thick and out of control, is pruning.
Kathy C

• Posted: Mon. 1st August 2011 23:00

Re: Re: Train Wisteria floribunda 'Black Dragon'

Reply from Norman Read

Many thanks Kathy. How many 'main stems' should I retain? So far I have kept 3, and indeed have spur pruned them. These 3 have twined themselves round vertical wires I stretched between vine eyes screwed into the uprights, and are just reaching the top of the uprights.

When the main stems reach the horizontal area on top of the pergola, should I pinch out the tips to encourage formation of more spurs and therefore more extensive cover of the structure?

regards, Norman

• Posted: Thu. 4th August 2011 15:59