In progress indicator

Courgettes

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Denise Bragg

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Once courgettes have flowered and started producing, is it ok to remove some of the large leaves?

• Views: 711
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Tue. 2nd August 2011 16:11

Re: Courgettes

Reply from Elizabeth Verth

Why would you want to do that? If it is to maximise your harvest, the best thing to do is to pinch out the growing tips of the lateral branches once the branch has reached about 2ft in length. The plant will then put all its energies into producing fruit. I have never had to do this as I have the opposite problem .... more courgettes than I know what to do with!

• Posted: Sat. 6th August 2011 13:23

Reply from Brenda Cosigan

I've never heard of removing leaves with courgettes or any squash. I've heard of pruning flowers so as to get fewer and larger fruits, but generally that's done with winter squash, isn't it? I mean, you want a nice big pumpkin but why would you want one great big courgette instead of a bunch of small tender ones?

• Posted: Sun. 14th August 2011 16:50

Reply from Trisha Thatcher

I've always removed any yellowing leaves from courgette plants, and also any that have become crowded. I've had no problems with the fruit production after removing leaves - tons and tons of courgettes every year. I'd say if you feel they are compteting for space then go ahead and cut off the leaves. It also helps to open up the space so less mildew, rotting off of fruit and anyrain can get to the roots more easily.

• Posted: Tue. 16th August 2011 14:28