In progress indicator

Acer palmatum Dissectum

In progress indicator
Full size image

Comment from Joan Jones

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I bought this established Acer from a garden centre four weeks ago. It was a lush green, is still in its existing pot, and is not exposed to wind or long periods of direct sunlight. A week ago it started to change colour and has a dried up orange look and is shedding a lot of its leaves. I dont know what is happening and would appreciate help

UPDATE

I have added these actual photos of the acer

Acer palmatum Dissectum (05/08/2011)Acer palmatum Dissectum (05/08/2011)Acer palmatum Dissectum (05/08/2011)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 867
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Fri. 5th August 2011 11:48

Re: Acer palmatum Dissectum

Reply from Valerie Munro

Hi Joan

No matter how you feel that your acer is in idea conditions, you have changed its own personal micro-climate, and it is probably reacting to that change. It would be better to compare the conditions in your garden to the conditions in which is was in the garden centre. My local garden centre keeps its acers under a shade screen, and I know that if these were suddenly shifted out into the open, albeit it sheltered from wind and with not excessive amounts of sunlight, that they would sulk.

From your description what it is doing is going into premature dormancy.

I'm sure that you are really sad that this is happening, but I do think that it is only a temporary thing and next year the plant will have toughened up to the conditions in your garden.

Perhaps you could submit an actual pic which might confirm the diagnosis.

Auntie Planty
www.auntieplanty.co.uk

• Posted: Fri. 5th August 2011 12:39

Re: Acer palmatum Dissectum

Reply from Ali Gilbert

My Acer has just done the same thing as I've just planted it in my newly designed garden from it being in a pot. It was a friends tree who moved to Australia and I adopted it and I remember it dropping its leaves when it was moved from their garden to mine.

• Posted: Fri. 5th August 2011 12:53

Re: Acer palmatum Dissectum update

Reply from Valerie Munro

Hi Joan

Thank you for sending in some photos - the story gets slightly longer!

You have the pot standing on a hard surface of crazy paving - this is going to add to the problem as when the concrete heats up, it then acts like a night storage heater and radiates the heat out again, and any pot that is standing in its direct path will get this added blast of heat.

The same thing happens in reverse in a cold spell in the winter when the soil in a standing pot can freeze and cause all sorts of problems for a plant's roots.

The best thing to do for the future is to put your pot on some sort of stand that will allow an air break between the bottom of the pot and the concrete.

This may not have singularly caused the problem with your acer, but it would certainly have contributed to it.

I hope that this helps
Auntie Planty
www.auntieplanty.co.uk

• Posted: Fri. 5th August 2011 13:17