In progress indicator

A bargin Phyllostachys nigra

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from john

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Ive been keen to own some black bamboo for a couple of years now but with a growing family Ive not wanted to pay out the kind of prices garden centres are asking. However this weekend while sifting through the 'SALE' items at my local garden centre I came across what I thought was the bargin of the century........a 10 litre pot of black bamboo reduced from £44.99 to £8.00, the large stems had been cut back so the top growth was thin and only about 3ft tall. When I got it home the pot was impossible to remove so I had to cut it off. Some of the new stems had spiralled around the root ball and wedged the plant in the pot. I decided to cut the plant into quarters to grow on. After doing this the spiralling stems came away from the rootball with a bit of muscle power, each with a fair bit of root growth on them. So now rather than 4 large potted peices I have about 30 small peices in smaller pots.
So, the question is, will these rooted peices grow into small plants, I cant see why they wouldnt but hopefully you have some experience or idea of how successful these 'cutting' will be.
Thanks for any advice,
John

• Views: 575
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Mon. 8th August 2011 11:27

Re: A bargin Phyllostachys nigra

Reply from Barry Tabor

Yes, John, I think you did exactly the right thing, and probably the new plants will all get away nicely. £45 is not an unusual price for this plant, but £2 each is very unusual!! Pot up in freely draining soil, water and feed only moderately and plant out where you want them to grow when you see new shoots round the edge of the plant at ground level. They are pretty hardy, and will grow into clumps in a few years, and be very hard to dig out if you put them in the wrong place. You already know how tough the roots are. Lovely plants. Enjoy.
Barry

• Posted: Tue. 9th August 2011 11:39

Re: Re: A bargin Phyllostachys nigra

Reply from john

Thanks Barry, exactly what I wanted to here. Looking forward to seeing those black stems in a few years time.

• Posted: Wed. 10th August 2011 08:40