In progress indicator

A few plants to identify

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from john

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Hi all,
Im very new to this website and taking full advantage of your knowledge. I have a few plants that Ive rescued from other gardens and inherited in my current garden. I have a good idea what a couple of them are but not really specific enough.
Any advice on any of them would be gratefully received.

Click images to enlarge

A few plants to identify (09/08/2011)A few plants to identify (09/08/2011)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 798
  • Replies: 9
  • Posted: Tue. 9th August 2011 09:10

Re: A few plants to identify

Reply from Valerie Munro

Hi John

Looking at the photos that you have sent, this is what I think....

plant 1 - white agapanthus; plant 2 - looks likely to be foxtail lily
plant 3 - mystery, as afraid that photo is not clear enough;
plant 4 - Hibiscus syriacus; plant 5 - weigela of some kind
plant 6 - phlox

I hope that this helps, and I'm sure that someone can add their three cents worth if they have any better ideas!

Auntie Planty
www.auntieplanty.co.uk

• Posted: Tue. 9th August 2011 10:21

Re: Re: A few plants to identify

Reply from john

Thanks for that, as you say hopefully someone else can fill in the gaps.

• Posted: Tue. 9th August 2011 10:53

Reply from Barry Tabor

Hello, Aunty.
Again I see that you are right in your replies. Plant 2, though, doesn't look like any foxtail lily I've seen - the leaves are wrong, not being a rosette and there is no 'topknot'of little leaves above the flower spike. Plant 3 looks a bit like an American plant I think they call 'pokeweed.' We had difficulty getting rid of it when we moved to our present home. If it gets a load of black berries later in the year, be prepared to be invaded or to have a lot of work avoiding being invaded. I hope my butting in helps rather than annoys.
Barry

• Posted: Tue. 9th August 2011 11:26

Re: A few plants to identify

Reply from Kathy C

HI, John,
The mystery one isn't pokeweed - inflorescence is wrong. I grew up with Pokeweed so be verrrrry glad it isn't that! :)
Still having a think on what it could be. Plant #2 is a white cultivar/form of Veronicastrum virginicum, probably 'Album'.
Kathy C

• Posted: Tue. 9th August 2011 22:38

Reply from Barry Tabor

Veronicastrum is a possibility which I had not thought of. A close-up of the flowers would help. What time of year does it flower?
Barry

• Posted: Wed. 10th August 2011 07:35

Re: Re: Re: A few plants to identify

Reply from john

Veronicastrum virginicum 'album' looks like the one. Ive just looked at some other images on here and via google and the text all adds up, height, flowering period, etc.
Barry I took the photo a couple of days ago.
Thanks guys, very helpful.

• Posted: Wed. 10th August 2011 08:36

Re: Re: Re: Re: A few plants to identify

Reply from Angie Robertson

I would confirm that No 2 is Veronicastrum virginicum, some of the paler pink varieties look very white - is there a hint of pink in the flowers?

• Posted: Wed. 10th August 2011 16:06

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A few plants to identify

Reply from john

Angie, there is a very slight hint of pink to those flowers. Ive had this one a while but it hasnt bulked out much, most of my other perennials have expanded and Ive done a fair bit of dividing but not with this one. It seems happy enough, no signs of stress, but I would like to have a much larger 'drift' of these.
Now that I know what it is (almost) I know its in the right conditions except that its neighbours are earlier flowering/growing and are shading it out too much in the Spring/Early Summer. A bit of Winter rearranging I think.
Thanks again

• Posted: Thu. 11th August 2011 14:13

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A few plants to identify

Reply from Angie Robertson

Hi John
I planted 3 different varieties of this plant earlier this year. Take a look at my plant list as I think one of my pinks might be nearer what you have.
I would say that I really like these plants too - and like you I have found that they don't bulk out very much.
They seem to prefer a bit of shade - the ones getting more shade seem to be doing a bit better than the others.
Perhaps together we can find a solution :)
Cheers
Angie

• Posted: Thu. 11th August 2011 15:32