In progress indicator

Brugmansia Arborea

In progress indicator
Full size image

Tip from eric jolley

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Brugmansia Arborea is probably the easiest of the brugmansias to grow,what it lacks in the flamboyance of its cousins it makes up for in its scent ,in my opinion it is one of the nicest scents of all the brugs.It is also along with the Sanguineas one of the hardiest it will even recover from a light frosting, if a temperature of 10c can be maintained in the conservatory or greenhouse it will continue to flower throughout the winter indeed I have kept them outside in temperature zone 8b with frost protection and they have survived the winter,The Arborea is one of the few brugs. that is self fertile it also has the largest seed covered by a corky coat, to germinate soak the seed at room temperature for 36-48hrs, carefully peel the corky coat or peel one side this prevents the cotyledons being stuck in the coat when germinating, plant in individual pots of multipurpose compost or vermiculite and compost and keep at 18-22c,germination can be weeks to 3or4months,seedlings grow rapidly and require potting on frequently, they should be fed and watered regularly although compared to the other brugs their demands are more modest, if planted early in the year it will probably flower in the same year.The Arborea despite originating from the Andes region of Equador, Chile, Peru does not relish full sun as with most brugs will tolerate partial shade,the white flowers are from 4.5-6.5 inches long but it is towards evening when they begin to emit their gorgeous scent which has vanilla overtones,normally they are pollinated by moths but are prone to self pollination, the seed pods are like small apples and when ripe contain hundreds of tightly packed seeds which dried off and stored can be used for the next generation of plants.

Brugmansia Arborea

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 1068
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Mon. 2nd March 2009 00:01

Great

Reply from Nicola

Hi Eric,

I know you are really passionate about Brugmansia. Thanks for telling us about this plant :-) I like the sound of the lovely vanilla scent.

For those who don't know about zones, zone 8 is also right for most of southern UK isn't it?

To anyone else who loves (like Eric) or hates a particular plant, you can also add your own notes to the plant for us all to read.

1) Login
2) Find a plant you want to comment on
3) Click 'forum' tab
4) Enter your note

This will then appear to everyone in the general forums to read, and will also be there later for anyone else who comes along to look at that plant.

Hope you give it a go! Nicola

• Posted: Mon. 2nd March 2009 09:29

Brugmansia Arborea

Reply from Marissa Zoppellini

Hi Eric, that is a beauty - how long did it take to get to that size from seed? Marissa

• Posted: Thu. 5th March 2009 10:15

Brugmansia Arborea

Reply from eric jolley

Hi Marissa,
I can get them into flower in just over a year by starting the seeds off in Sept/Oct and growing them through winter they will then flower around Aug. the following year,a spring sowing and if you could maintain 10c in your greenhouse come winter you could have them flowering Jan/Feb. otherwise if you let them go dormant it would be the following year.
regards eric

• Posted: Thu. 5th March 2009 12:53