In progress indicator

Rust on hollyhock leaves

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Belinda Chisholm

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

Can anyone advise me on preventing or curing rust on hollyhock leaves? The blooms are beautiful and the plants grow to about 8 foot high but the leaves very quickly develop rust spots after their initial spring regrowth, all I can do is to remove them as the leaves get more discoloured. Thanks for any help.

• Views: 910
  • Replies: 2
  • Posted: Wed. 10th August 2011 18:53

Re: Rust on hollyhock leaves

Reply from Valerie Munro

Hi Belinda

Your hollyhock is suffering from a fungal infection and it's the pustules on the underside of the leaves that contain the spores which will eventually carry the disease over from one year to another. So you really do want to break the cycle now.

You should carefully pick off the affected leaves, and dispose of them carefully. I advise you to inspect the plants regularly and remove the infected parts as you find them.

I would also recommend that you begin a regular spray programme with a systemic fungicide such as Fungus Clear Ultra. A good garden centre will be able to supply you; please read and follow the label instructions carefully. With luck, you will break the life cycle of the rust this year.

Be prepared to cut your hollyhocks right down to ground level in the autumn and remove any plant debris from around the base of the plant so remove the opportunity for the infection to hibernate through the winter.

I hope that this helps

Auntie Planty
www.auntieplanty.co.uk

• Posted: Fri. 12th August 2011 13:46

Re: Re: Rust on hollyhock leaves

Reply from Belinda Chisholm

Hi Valerie,

Many thanks for your reply. I will get the fungicide recommended and I am interested to see that you suggest cutting the hollyhocks to ground level. I nearly did that last autumn but didn't quite dare as a bad winter was forecast, correctly as it turned out. We were down to -15.

Thanks again,

Belinda

• Posted: Fri. 12th August 2011 19:45