In progress indicator

My Erysimum is wilting?

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from Tanya Feltham

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

I recently bought Erysimum and planted in a pot as the soil in my garden is poor. I planted it in multi-purpose compost. It does not seem to be looking to well and is wilting and the leaves underneath are coming away? What did I do wrong?

• Views: 1629
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sun. 4th September 2011 07:10

Re: My Erysimum is wilting?

Reply from Valerie Munro

Hi Tanya

Without actually seeing the plant, it is going to be difficult to know exactly what is going on, but I will take a walk through the more obvious and see where that lands us!

I'm afraid that when we buy a plant, we are entirely in the hands of the garden centre/shop/market where it came from for its prior care. When you popped it out of its pot, did you get a good look at the soil ball? If it was very dry and you popped it straight into the ground, then there lies possible solution No.1.

The problem with very dry soil is that it is extremely difficult to re-hydrate it - any water you apply will merely scoot over the surface, find a crack (in this care the gao between its soil ball and the planting hole) and then disappear. This means that any water that you applied post planting will not have hit the spot.

Sticking with this thought, I would like you to try something. Get a bucket/washing up bowl/ fill it with water and to it add around 6 squirts of washing up liquid. Add this soapy mixture around the root area of the plant in measured amounts - avoid the temptation to chuck it on all in one go -- allow the mixture to penetrate the soil before adding the next.

Then, immediately afterwards get a bucket of clean water, and in the same way, add this clean water in measured doses so that all the soapy water is flushed through. You will know that yoiu have done this when the bubbles have disappeared!

Then take one litre of water, to it add 6 teaspoons of ordinary sugar, mix well and apply this to the root area of the plant, also in measured doses. See what happens in the next 24 hours, and then report back!

Good luck

Auntie Planty
www.auntieplanty.co.uk

• Posted: Sun. 4th September 2011 08:49

Re: My Erysimum is wilting?

Reply from Patricia Jones

Elysium is a member of the cabbage family.
Your plant may have roots that have been affected by the cabbage root fly; the roots will be nodular,instead of smooth, making them unable to take up moisture to the leaf, thus causing wilt. (There can be a rotten smell too.) Have a close look at the roots and if this is the case burn the offending plant.
(Actually I would return it to the vendor) You can grow from seed in fresh soil. Planting into soil that has a light dressing of lime is beneficial.
Patricia

• Posted: Sun. 4th September 2011 12:01

Re: Re: My Erysimum is wilting?

Reply from Valerie Munro

Hi Patricia

This is all very true, but in view of the recent hot-dry-hot-wet weather that we have had I was going along the obvious route before major surgery! If the re-hydration and de-stressing treatment didn't work, then it was time to dig deeper (literally)

I do agree with your sentiment that if a recently acquired plant has a fundamental problem, then it should be take back to the garden centre lickety split for a refund and they cannot/dare not argue!

Auntie Planty
www.auntieplanty.co.uk

• Posted: Mon. 5th September 2011 11:52