In progress indicator

please identify this plant

In progress indicator
Full size image

General post from Sarah Smith

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

This plant is situated in the northwest of england, currentnly in clay soil in a bed. Havent seen it flower, or do much else apart from grow like mad! Wasnt damaged by last winters frosts either.
I have attached 2 photos , one close up and one which gives you the sense of its height,

Any help much appreciated! Thanks

please identify this plant (13/09/2011)please identify this plant (13/09/2011)

Click image to enlarge

• Views: 818
  • Replies: 8
  • Posted: Tue. 13th September 2011 14:27

Re: please identify this plant

Reply from Patricia Jones

Possibly, Photinia Davidiana 'Palette'.
No flowers, are you pruning the bush, thus removing the flowering shoots?
Patricia

• Posted: Tue. 13th September 2011 15:39

Re: Re: please identify this plant

Reply from Sarah Smith

Hi Patricia,

Thanks for the identification. The plant is in a garden that i maintain, and havent pruned since i have been there. Its possible the previous gardener pruned it too much thus removing the flowering shoots??

Thanks Again.
Sarah

• Posted: Wed. 14th September 2011 08:06

Re: Re: Re: please identify this plant

Well if it is Photinia davidiana 'Palette' it will grow (15ft x 10ft), so it may have been pruned to keep it withinin bounds. It is Frost Hardy so that shouldn’t be the problem , what part of the country is it in?
It might be an idea to do an advanced search on Shoot giving the details you do know , soil, sun/shade etc,this might give you some other ideas. From your 2nd photo it looks too tidy to be natural, don’t you think?
Patricia

• Posted: Wed. 14th September 2011 09:50

Re: Re: Re: Re: please identify this plant

Reply from Sarah Smith

Hi,

It's in Northwest England , Lancashire, (Leigh to be precise). Not seen any flowers or berries on it , which could either mean its been pruned too much at some point or i havent seen them, but the berries normally surface during autumn right? I think your right in saying that it has definitely been pruned at some point but not in the last year. Obviously i want to know what shrub it is for my known knowledge and so that i know how to prune it , how and when.

• Posted: Wed. 14th September 2011 10:18

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: please identify this plant

Reply from Sarah Smith

PS - they also have reddish / pinkish stem

• Posted: Wed. 14th September 2011 10:25

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: please identify this plant

Yes I could see the red stems.Have a look in the Shoot Plant Database it give you full details for Photinia davidiana 'Palette'
Patricia

• Posted: Wed. 14th September 2011 15:29

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: please identify this plant

Yes I could see the red stems.Have a look in the Shoot Plant Database it give you full details for Photinia davidiana 'Palette'
Patricia

• Posted: Wed. 14th September 2011 15:29

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: please identify this plant

Reply from Vincent Dunne

This looks more like Prunus lusitanica 'Variegata'. The leaves look too glossy to be Photinia. It has red stems and that would account for no red berries and also the rounded shape. It is easily managed; you can even clip it with a hedge shears if that is your thing.

• Posted: Wed. 28th September 2011 12:49