In progress indicator

New shoots on 'dead' frost damaged tree

In progress indicator
Full size image

Question from liz hankins

Close

House rules are loading...

In progress indicator

We are processing your monitoring request...

In progress indicator

In progress indicator

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Comment on a listing

Cancel and close this form

My Cordyline Australis was a beautiful mature 25ft tree until this year when it succumbed to the winter and I had to remove all the greenery and cut back the rotted wood. It is now re-shooting- but at ground level with 15 ft of trunk above it and 3 branches at the top. Should I leave them to see if it shoots higher and wrap this winter ( I did not protect it last year) or remove all the wood above the shoots?

• Views: 1018
  • Replies: 3
  • Posted: Sat. 1st October 2011 23:11

Re: New shoots on 'dead' frost damaged tree

Reply from Eileen Christie

I am no expert, but I have 2 victims from 2 winters ago. 1 produced shoots at ground level the spring after, but perished finally the second winter. I'd go with wrapping. Can it do any harm? I

• Posted: Sun. 2nd October 2011 07:50

Re: Re: New shoots on 'dead' frost damaged tree

Reply from liz hankins

Thanks Eileen
Yes I agree I will definitely wrap it. But do you think it is more likely to succumb to frost with the tall trunk above the new shoots adding to its exposed areas? And is it wasting energy still having the trunk there which may never grow shoots now...I was thinking of growing a climbing plant up it but would be very happy to see the Cordyline back as a fully fledged palm!
Liz

• Posted: Mon. 3rd October 2011 21:40

Re: Re: New shoots on 'dead' frost damaged tree

Reply from liz hankins

I have now cut it down to about 5 ft where the trunk is sold and helathy and left the green shoots at the base. I am reading on line that a few people suggest removing the shoots with roots attached and potting up. Would they survive left attached to the tree I wonder?

• Posted: Mon. 10th October 2011 23:55